Friday, April 1, 2016

April Counterfeit Kit - Urban Blossom

Welcome to the April Counterfeit Kit blog hop! This month, the group was asked to pull inspiration from the February kit by C'est Magnifique. Now, I'll be honest … I was NOT a fan of the original kit. It's trรจs shabby chic and my style is definitely more modern/contemporary. I was stumped on how to pull together a counterfeit version of a kit I really despised (sorry kit; it's not you it's me

I finally decided to work off the color palette. The original kit has lots of pink and black, with subtle pops of gold. I went through my stash and found a collection of papers that fit the palette. I ended up pulling together this counterfeit version, which I'm calling Urban Blossom ... 


The patterned paper in the original kit had lots of bold designs (floral, damask, large polka dots) and while I didn't have anything identical on hand, I did manage to find other bold designs like black swans and script font.  


There were LOTS of butterflies in the original kit and I was shocked to discover that my stash is running low in the butterfly department! I decided to make my own butterfly embellishments, using one of my favorite punches by Martha Stewart … 


As for the rest of my embellies, I kept things simple with some flair badges and pocket cards. My embellishments are pregnancy-themed … I'm hoping this inspires me to finally get started on my Project Pregnancy! 


Despite my initial "oh my gosh, this is the worst kit EVER" reaction, I ended up creating a counterfeit version that I love! I really hope this is the kit that finally bumps me back into a creative, scrappy groove.

Next up on the hop is Susanne

14 comments :

  1. I love the colour scheme you chose.The papers are beautiful,especially the swans.Your preggy flairs are so cute too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love how you made your kit work for you! Great inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful! You came up with a very pretty and contemporary spin on the inspiration - the colors are just lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  4. A great kit under difficult circumstances.. Congratulations on your pregnancy too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. your interpretation of the kit turned out beautifully. I like how you kept it simple. Look forward to seeing you use it x

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's a very pretty kit, glad you were able to make it your own.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the color scheme--pink & black is so pretty together!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like that yours isn't just like the inspiration piece. I love what you put together!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love what you put together too. And I spied a piece of patterned paper that I used in March's kit. ;) Great kit

    ReplyDelete
  10. Fantastic take on the kit :) Love your choices too :) I wasn't really keen on the kit neither. Fun to see the pregnancy pieces in the kit :) Looking forward to seeing what you create :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. You've captured the essence of forging - to make a copy that YOU can enjoy!
    Can you imagine the Mona Lisa being copied by contemporary mixed-media artists?!?
    You go, gurl! Trust me - you had better get Project Pregnancy underway while life is simple ;)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Keeping it simple is by far the best way to be inspired by a kit that ... well, doesn't really inspire you. You've created a fantastic kit for yourself! x

    ReplyDelete
  13. This kit is very YOU! I could happily use it too (minus the embellishments LOL) - have fun with it and scrap while you can ;-)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment! xo