Friday, May 1, 2015

Waikiki Sunset - May Counterfeit Kit

Yay for May !!!!! The month of May is full of good things for me - my birthday (tomorrow!) and National Scrapbook Day and our big trip to Europe … plus, warmer weather and lazy, sunny days spent reading out on the back patio. Of course, it also means a new kit to counterfeit, which is always exciting. 

This month, Bethany gave us a kit and a theme to be inspired by. The theme is "Everything Old Is New Again" and the kit is actually the very first one ever featured on the Counterfeit Kit Challenge blog - a Jenni Bowlin Mercantile kit from way back in 2011. Here's a peek of what it looked it … 


Now, I won't lie … when I first saw the kit, my initial reaction was a heartfelt "urgh!" 

I've mentioned this several times in the past, but red and green are the two colours I have the most trouble with when it comes to scrapbooking! I avoid them both like the plague ... and orange isn't exactly one of my "go-to" colours either. I'm not one to shy away from a challenge, though, so I got straight to work creating a counterfeit version that I could work with. Instead of focusing on the colour palette of the original kit, I decided to draw inspiration from the products themselves.

My counterfeit "shopping list" included the following items - label tags, polka dot patterned paper, floral patterned paper, patterned paper with words or letters on it and intricate floral doilies. 

Here's what I came up with …


In honour of the "Everything Old Is New Again" theme, I decided to blend the past with the present. As I mentioned earlier, the kit we were given to use as inspiration dates back to 2011 so when I started pulling together bits and pieces for my counterfeit version, I decided it should consist entirely of new products. Everything in my kit (except the roll of washi tape) are from the most recent CHA releases.

Next up on the hop is Susanne
Be sure to swing by her blog to see how she was inspired by the original kit!

15 comments :

  1. All new releases, how fun is that!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the flairs,the orange pineapple paper,the big kraft doiley, love everything! You've put your own interpretation and it looks fabulous. Enjoy your trip Stephanie & don't forget to take photos.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like your thinking...using the type of inspiration to put together an up-to-date version of the kit. And yay for including all new product too! You have some really lovely pieces - I especially like the large kraft diecut and the multi-colored polka dot paper.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fantastic job turning it into a kit that you will love to use, because this is so fun and trendy! And, almost everything in your kit is new to me-I am not familiar with most of your papers, but they are awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a fun, modern take. I totally see the inspiration from the old kit too! Nicely done!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Super cute kit :) I like the way you decided about your counterfeit :) The modern take is fun as Janine says :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Totally Modern Stephanie! Great translation of the inspo kit elements to today's trends :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great kit - how lucky to be able to use such new stash!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think several of us had the same reaction to the original kit..but I love your take on it. Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nice to window shop all that yummy new product.

    ReplyDelete
  11. An interesting eclectic mix of stuff to play with! CAn't wait to see what you do with it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm not fond of the kit either, so it's very inspiring to see your take on it, your counterfeit kit is absolutely gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I went new too - good to see that great minds think alike :-)

    what a super kit and very you! Cant wait to see if you use this kit for some of those wonderful Europe photos I've been spying. We will have to make sure that we both use this month's kit for a page about meeting each other - ha ha!

    ReplyDelete
  14. You are blessed to have access to so many new and trendy items. Makes for a very chic kit.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment! xo