Friday, December 5, 2014

Our First Noel : Creating Holiday Layouts With Everyday Supplies

Can I share a secret with you? As much as I love Christmas - and I do love Christmas; I'm completely obsessed with candy canes and gingerbread men and presents and holiday hymns - I really, really, REALLY struggle when it comes to making Christmas layouts. There are a few reasons why.

First of all, I'm just not a big fan of the traditional holiday colors of red and green. I like a green Christmas tree and the red paper cups from Starbucks and that's about it. Fortunately for me, a lot of manufacturers have started branching out and designing collections featuring gold, teal, grey - even pink and purple! These new collections are right up my alley but I still haven't been able to jump on board the Christmas layout bandwagon. I'm a scrapper on a budget and I prefer to buy products that I can easily use year-round on a variety of projects. Snowflakes and reindeer are cute, but I'm not going to be reaching for those things once the holidays are over. So, what's a girl to do?!

The solution I've come up with is to use regular, "everyday" papers with just a sprinkling of thematic goodies to create my holiday layouts. That's why I was SO excited to see the December kit from Clique Kits. The September Skies collection by Heidi Swapp is great for everyday layouts but also perfect to use to create trendy, contemporary holiday pages. Here's a Christmas page I made …


This photo has been sitting in my stash for ages. It was taken on Christmas morning back in 2011, the first Christmas that my husband and I celebrated together. He was my boyfriend at the time and even though it's only been 3 years when I look at that photo I can't get over how young we look!


Most of the patterned papers used on this layout, as well as the fabulous sequin stamp, are from the December kit from Clique Kits, Enchanted Meadow. The wood veneer snowflakes are from the special edition December add-on kit. 

6 comments :

  1. lovely layout, stephanie! im terrible at scrapping christmas layouts, too. that's one of the reasons why i do december daily - because i know most of the pics will not make it to full-size layouts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fantastic and fun LO Stephanie. Love the pic. WTG!!!
    Huggies!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a gorgeous layout! And I agree about struggling with Christmas colours like green!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This layout is SUPER adorable!!! I love it!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment! xo