Friday, August 15, 2014

Dreaming Of Lace - A Story Of Contrasts

One of my crafty goals for autumn is to focus on including more journaling on my layouts. I know it's not quite autumn yet, but I'm jumping right in today with what I hope will be the first of many journaling-heavy layouts.

I made this layout for my wedding album. I wanted a page that documented the details of our wedding day - the venue, the music, the cake flavor, the flowers, etc - without making it too stuffy and impersonal. I chose to use contrasts … comparing the wedding I thought I would have to the wedding I actually had … to tell the story.


Here's the journaling in all its glory -

I was the girl who began planning my wedding when I was twelve. I kept a binder full of ideas and inspiration; for years, I'd add to it whenever I saw an ad from a magazine that caught my eye. When the time arrived for me to finally wed, the wedding that took place and the wedding envisioned on the pages of that binder couldn't have been more different. I wanted to marry in October; we married in July. I wanted a country wedding in Maine; we married in a city on the opposite side of the continent. I wanted pumpkins and sunflowers; we had giant hanging pom-poms made of tissue and flower petals scattered across table-tops. I wanted a reception in a barn; we had ours in a Tudor mansion. I wanted the Montreal People's Gospel Choir to perform; we had an iPod playlist on repeat. At the end of the day I think there were only two elements from my binder that came to be: 1) I wanted red velvet wedding cake and we had red velvet wedding cake ... (Okay, technically our tier of cupcakes had three flavours including mocha buttercream and chocolate ganache but the small 6" cake that topped the tier was red velvet so I count it as a win) … and 2) I wanted lace and I got lace. My gown had lace on the bodice and short lace sleeves, and my veil was a Spanish Cathedral veil with a lace trim. Of the pages and pages of ideas and plans I had collected in my binder, these were the only two details that came to pass.  It's not that the vision was stolen from me; I could have had any of those things if I'd really insisted on them. Truth is, when you meet "The One" and your hearts start to intertwine all you really want is to begin life together as quickly as possible. At the end of the day the wedding details are just that - details - and they're trumped by the idea of spending forever with your special someone. I may not have had the wedding of my dreams, the one I planned in my little binder of magazine collages, but I married the man of my dreams. The man God chose for me. And as much as I would have liked pumpkin centrepieces and a barnyard reception, I wouldn't trade him and the day I became his wife for anything. xo Wedding: July 7th, 2012 // Journaling: August 14th, 2014 


The layout above was made using my August Counterfeit kit, Wishful Thinking. There's a new challenge up over on the Counterfeit Kit Blog today and it's all about using vellum. Believe it or not, I'm a big fan of vellum. One of my favorite techniques is using it to mount photos. I think the vellum softens up the layers and gives the layout a dreamy, whimsical look. I used the same technique on this layout a few months ago. 

Here's a close-up of how the printed vellum looks on my "Dreaming of Lace" layout …


If you have a sheet or two of vellum lying around that you're not sure what to do with, try using it as you would regular patterned paper and adding it to a cluster of layers. There's also a fun tutorial using vellum over on the Clique Kits blog which you can check out right here

I hope you're inspired to get some journaling down on your upcoming pages. 

11 comments :

  1. Beautiful layout and absolutely wonderful journaling to record the details of the wedding!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful layout and I love the contrast in the journaling something we should all be doing on a layout

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a wonderful & unusual wedding dress/veil detail photo - stunning.
    Agree about how effective the journaling approach was in telling your story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hehe .. my wedding photographer was in love with my dress and took several detail shots. I didn't think much of it at the time but now I'm really glad to have the close-ups! :)

      Delete
  4. Gorgeous journaling on your layout and a beaut close up of your pretty veil and dress.If you have daughters I'm sure they will read all this and take it into account.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fabulous layout and amazing detail documenting it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such a lovely page. Great job on the journaling.
    Cindy F.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I saw this layout on pinterest and really love it. great journalling and what a stunning up close photo. really super layout. i write a lot of journalling on many pages and they never fail to make me happy! good for you for making your story an important part of your design!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful page and great journalling. Really wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You captured your story in such a beautiful way!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment! xo