Friday, June 27, 2014

We Are The Industry : A Gentle Reminder For My Fellow Scrappers


As I'm sure most of you know by now, earlier this week Two Peas in a Bucket announced that they will be closing up shop for good on July 10th. I debated whether or not to write about its closing as there are already several beautifully written tributes including this one by Nancy Damiano and this one by Jill Sprott. What more can one say, really?

Two Peas was a pioneer in the scrapbook industry and it's sad to see them go. I never considered myself a "Pea" … I shopped there a few times and used their gallery as my scrapbook portfolio, but I never posted on the message boards and never considered the website my home base as far as community goes. That said, the news of their closing still saddens me because, to quote poet John Doone: "every man's death diminishes me, because I am involved in mankind." The scrapbook industry  sits in this unusual paradox of being large, yet small. There are thousands of us, scattered around the globe, and yet despite our numbers we are an extremely close-knit community. Thanks to blogs and YouTube channels and message boards and Pinterest we bond over a shared love of paper and photos. Any time a store closes or a manufacturer goes under, we all feel the ripple effects in one way or another. So I'm sad to see Two Peas go, even though it wasn't home for me.

But you know what makes me even more sad? To see comments like "well, this is the beginning of the end of the scrapbook industry" and "what is happening to our hobby?! " and all this talk of doom and gloom like scrapbookers have just received a knockout punch in the boxing match of life. So today I'm standing up on my soap box to proclaim: Friends, WE are the industry. You and I - not a store, not a website, not a company. US ... me with my glue gun and you with your sequins. We, the consumers, get to decide on the future of our industry. We get to shape its destiny. Not every business decides to close because of financial issues but most do … so cast your vote with your hard earned money. Invest in the businesses (stores, Etsy sellers, magazines, kit clubs, manufacturers, etc) that you love and believe in. Post about them on your blog. Mourn when a company announces their closure (and some will, because that's part an inevitable part of life) but celebrate loudly when new companies appear. Cast your vote with your voice and time. Host a scrapbook evening and encourage your friends to attend and show them what the hobby is all about. Make a scrapbook for someone. Quit being ashamed of having a "granny hobby" (I am so guilty of this) and share your passion on Facebook and Instagram. You might be amazed at who comes out of the woodwork with a keen interest in this granny hobby of yours.

And, most importantly, cast your vote with your heart. Instead of mourning the loss of yet another scrapbook store, why not make yourself a cup of tea and sit down in a cozy nook in your home and take some time to remember why you even scrapbook at all. Because, at the end of the day, scrapbooking isn't about a new package of enamel dots or a big CHA blog hop or an exciting new monthly kit. It's about combining creativity and documentation; it's about memories and art. And no matter how many stores close or how the retail landscape shifts, we will forge on with paper trimmer in hand because scrapbooking is a part of who we are.

The future of scrapbooking isn't being decided by a handful of corporate big shots in a board room somewhere. It's being shaped and molded and redefined by you and me in scrapbook rooms (and on dining room tables) around the world. We are the industry. May the news of Two Peas closing serve as a gentle reminder to each of us to love on our hobby and on one another, building up the community we care so much about.

14 comments :

  1. A granny hobby? I've never heard it being called that before! I love this hobby that soooo many of us enjoy and I think there is more to Two Peas closing than meets the eye.
    As you say, we are the industry and I for one will never give it up or give up on it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you that was wonderfully said and covered the way I feel about the industry, people seem to be trying to make scrapping a doom since Smash came out, Scrapping has been going on for over a hundred years it just evolves in ways that people don't think of.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hear, hear. Great post Stephanie. Well put, nicely argued, truly eloquent and so true. I, too, think that we have to support the industry with our hard earned pennies and stop expecting so much to be offered online for free. The places we call our scrappy homes online need support in so many ways and that's our job. Great reminder.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Stephanie... This is beautifully written and right on point. Thank you for sharing your thoughts. I will definitely share your post with others. xo Kimberly Hutchison (Hip Kit Club)

    ReplyDelete
  5. YES!!! This is exactly how I feel! You put it so beautifully! (And thank you for commenting on my similar post so I could come and read yours!)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great post. I don't think it is "the end" but a definite downturn. I also agree that it is best to mourn and move on. Life and scrapping must go on!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nicely put ... the world-wide hobby and the world-wide industry behind it is much bigger than one single on-line store (though I think people are mourning the closing of the forum, gallery and especially the (paid-for) classes rather than the shopping).

    ReplyDelete
  8. Amen!! Very well said, and I totally agree!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great post! So true. There are still a few of us little guys out there trying to make it and share the love with other scrappers! I do it bc I love the hobby, not bc I am making a lot of money!! LOVE scrapbooking!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. "We, the consumers, get to decide on the future of our industry. We get to shape its destiny." SO well put! I completely agree.

    ReplyDelete
  11. So beautifully written Stephanie, thanks for sharing! This industry is forever changing, but I hope that people will always feel a need and desire to share a story and to document their lives through photos.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment! xo