Thursday, November 7, 2013

Lest We Forget ...

For the past two weeks, Sketch N Scrap has been hosting a holiday blog hop with each design team member showcasing a different holiday. If you've been following the hop, you should have arrived here after visiting Brandi's blog ... If you haven't seen her fantastic New Year's Eve project yet, you should definitely go check it out here.

November 11th is Remembrance Day or, for those of you in the United States, Veteran's Day. No matter what you call it, it's a day to to honor and thank the brave men and women who served your country, often giving their lives in the name of freedom.

Until the Sketch N Scrap holiday blog hop, I'd never thought of scrapping Remembrance Day in any shape or form. It's a statutory holiday in most of the provinces here in Canada (meaning we get the day off work) but it's not really a day of celebration. It's a day of quiet, solemn reflection - an important day, but not exactly one that's conducive to creativity.

For my Remembrance Day project, I decided to focus on the poppy flower. I didn't have anything in my stash that even remotely resembled a poppy, so I drew one myself and colored it in using Touch markers and Tim Holtz distress markers.

Taken from Wikipedia: "The red remembrance poppy has become a familiar emblem of Remembrance Day due to the poem In Flanders Fields. These poppies bloomed across some of the worst battlefields of Flanders in World War I, their brilliant red an appropriate symbol for the blood spilled in the war."

Let me know how you commemorate Remembrance Day or Veteran's Day. If your country has a different name for this holiday I would love to know!

Leave a comment below, and I will randomly select one winner to receive a special holiday-inspired RAK prize from me. In order to win, you must be a follower of my blog. :)

Contest closes on November 11th at 11:00am PST. I'll announce the winner later that afternoon. 

13 comments :

  1. Remembrance Day here in the UK too.
    I have been using my new found hobby to crochet poppies and have been selling them for £3 with all money going to The Royal British Legion - I am proud to say that I am putting a cheque for £250 into the collection pot this morning. I will of course be scrapping this!
    " At the going down of the sun and in the morning,
    We will remember them."

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am proudly wearing my poppy that Lesley made. It's so gorgeous. I celebrate Remembrance Day in a small way on my own as it's not commemorated here in Germany. They have their own Remembrance Day another time in the year and poppies are not used as a symbol. I made a lovely layout a few years ago featuring the veterans parade along my mums high street. Your card is really lovely. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful card, love your artwork in drawing the poppy, so pretty! Thanks for sharing how your country remembers their veterans, it is so interesting to see how every country honors their heroes!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gorgeous card. Love the poppy flower.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful job Stephanie! Awesome blog post with a wonderful message!

    ReplyDelete
  6. wow! that poppy completely POPS off the page! nice way to remember!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fabulous poppy! We (USA) have Veteran's Day on November 11. It is a quiet holiday for the most part. Locally this year, the kids are in school and I am unaware of any special activities such as a parade happening. Thanks for sharing your work!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a beautiufl card!! Love the hand drawn stitching!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Really nice card....just right for the tone of solemnity, reflection and reverence that is appropriate for the day. Veteran's Day here in the USA used to be called Armistice Day. I don't really have a special way of commemorating it.

    How lovely of you to offer us blog candy. I am a brand-new follower of your blog by Google Friend and also follow Sketch and Scrap by the same. Yippee!!
    <3 J

    jwoolbright at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very pretty card. The red poppy against the grey background. I'm in the US and Veteran's Day is also my daughters b'day so we always remember the date for two special reasons.

    I'm a new follower and would love for you to follow my blog too.

    http://barbgreenberg.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Awesome card using the red poppy. Great job. WTG Stephanie.
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  12. this year I am poorly but past years we have gone to the church service with the Scouts and it is always very moving as we stand outside at the end and beautiful poems are read and veterans speak and a trumpet plays.... this year I am remembering quietly at home whilst sneezing and sniffing.....thank you for your post it is really important to remember this time

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment! xo