Saturday, September 21, 2013

CHA Counterfeit Mini Kit - Inspired by Flea Market

It's no secret that I love Maggie Holmes! Her collections are stunning and the designs she comes up with are always so feminine and whimsical. When I saw her newest collection, Flea Market, I immediately fell head over heels for all of it, and I immediately pre-ordered several sheets of the bokeh paper ...


Bokeh is a term commonly used in photography. It refers to a blurry, out-of-focus image that contrasts with another image and creates a sort of ripple effect. (For a much better explanation, and beautiful photo examples, I recommend this article.) 

When the Counterfeit team was asked to create a mini kit based on some of the new CHA designs I decided to use the Flea Market Collection as my inspiration. Instead of trying to create exact replicas of the papers, I decided to use the bokeh effect as a spring board for my kit. Here is the mini kit I came up with ... 

You'll notice that it has TONS of pink, and each element is a slightly different shade of pink. Essentially, bokeh is just lighter images on top of a darker background color. Tone on tone, if you will. If you're a fan of the bokeh look, go through your stash and pull out all of the products you own that are shades of the same color. When you create your layouts, layer the products one over the other ... darker shades on the bottom, lighter shades on the top. 

Another Flea Market product I was really inspired by was the adorable package of bows.


Maggie's bows are made of fabric, but I made mine using polymer clay. Polymer clay can be purchased in all different colors at craft stores like Michaels. Polymer clay costs $2-$6 depending on the size of the package and a little bit goes a long way. To create these two bows I only used 1/4 of a $2 package of clay. Once you've shaped the clay into bows, bake it in the oven according to the instructions on your package. After it's baked you can add glossy accents to create a nice, shiny finish. You can also paint on designs using acrylic paint or even nail polish. 


If you're interested in making your own clay bows, I recommend watching this awesome tutorial over on YouTube. It really was as easy as she said it would be! 

5 comments :

  1. Very cute! I looked at this collection myself - great job! Very pretty and feminine. Def the Maggie Holmes vibe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Never thought of using Polymer clay. Very sweet little bows there! You've got the Maggie thing down pat!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment! xo