Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Working With 6x6 Paper Pads

Remember this post I wrote earlier last month about how I was planning to embark on a no-spend June? Well, I'm proud to say that I'm now 18 days in and I haven't spent a dime on scrapbooking supplies! Just a few more days to go before I can officially claim "mission accomplished".

Putting a freeze on my spending has helped me become re-aquainted with my stash and to examine what I've got from a new perspective. Since buying that "perfect" embellishment or paper to complete a layout is not an option for me this month, I've been forced to improvise. One of the things I've learned is that 6x6 paper pads aren't just great for cards ... they're also perfect for layouts!


Unless I'm using patterned paper as my layout's background, I hardly ever use a full sheet of 12x12 paper on a single layout. I tend to work with just bits and pieces ... I'll cut a strip of the paper or I'll fussy cut around an image ... and then the rest of the paper goes into my "scraps" pile where I usually forget all about it. I've found that the 6x6 sheets give me more than enough paper to play with, and buying the pads saves me tons of money! The 6x6 paper pads have anywhere from 24 to 36 sheets per pack so I'm able to buy an entire collection of coordinating papers for $5.00-$8.00. That's way better than paying $1+ for a single sheet of 12x12 paper. If you find you don't often use a full 12x12 sheet, you have to give 6x6 papers a try.

This page was inspired by a sketch I saw over on Shimelle's blog. All of the papers used on this page  are from the Glitz Designs Uncharted Waters 6x6 paper pad.


Here is a close-up shot ...



6 comments :

  1. Stephanie more amazing work! I am always inspired by your blog posts...now if I just had more time to create :o) I haven't tried using 6x6 paper pads yet, maybe that will be a new venture next month for me to try!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh wow Stephanie I love this! I've just started getting into buying 6x6 paper packs since they are cheaper like you said but for some reason I just never thought about them being useful for scrap layouts too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, this is so perfect!!! Love the before and after photo :) and you totally rocked the 6x6 papers!

    ReplyDelete
  4. super gorgeous photo of your crab king.
    Fabulous layout, thank you for inspiring me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love it! Where did you get that flair?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Tasha, the flair came in the Planetarium main kit by Studio Calico. I'm not sure which company made it, but there are lots of similar designs in the A Flair For Buttons Etsy shop. :)

      Delete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment! xo