Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Counterfeit Kit for May + A Design Team Application

Happy May, folks! My birthday is tomorrow and my sweet husband has planned a weekend full of celebrations so I am hard at work in my scrap room today trying to complete some last minute projects before he whisks me away from my papers and stamps.

LOTS of fun stuff happening this month. I ordered pretty much the entire Atlantic collection from Studio Calico and it is scheduled to arrive on my doorstep bright and early Monday morning. Speaking of Studio Calico, I signed up for my 2nd online class - Pop off the Page 2 - and it kicks off today. May also marks my first month as a design team member over at Sketch N Scrap and the team is hosting a month-long birthday party to celebrate the blog's 1st year anniversary. There will be challenges & prizes, so be sure to check it out. And, last but certainly not least, I've decided to apply for the Counterfeit Kit Challenge Blog design team! I've got TONS of stash to use up and lots of free time, so I figure this is the perfect design team for me :)

I love CFC and enjoyed putting together my kit last month (see details here). Unfortunately, I didn't get a chance to play with that kit very much but I am determined to put this month's kit to good use. Part of the design team application process is to make a counterfeit kit and post it on your blog, so that's what I'm doing today. I'll be counterfeiting the Shoreline kit by Polly Scraps Kits. This is the same kit that the CFC design team will be counterfeiting this month, and I wanted to be able to play along with their challenges so I figured I'd counterfeit it too. Here is the original kit -


The kit includes - 
Patterned paper - 2 polka dot, 1 striped, 1 floral, 1 solid, 1 miscellaneous pattern (ie: anchor)
2 alphabet stickers (one large, one small)
2 envelopes
4 clothes pins 
1 sheet of expressions/sentiment stickers
Wood veneer stars
Package of buttons
Washi tape
Twine

What I love about this kit is its simplicity - it's got a few great embellishments, but not so many that it becomes overwhelming. I also love the envelopes (I have some in my stash that I've never used) and the twine! Here is the counterfeit kit I came up with ...



To make my counterfeit kit, I followed the same approach I used last month. I chose one specific item in the real kit (the envelopes) as my starting point and built the rest of my counterfeit kit around that. This time around, I also decided to follow their recipe for patterned paper and chose 2 polka dot patterns, 1 striped pattern, 1 floral, 1 solid and 1 miscellaneous pattern. I'm super happy with how my kit turned out, though I admit I'm a wee bit nervous ... I've included my Maggie Holmes gold glitter Thickers which I've been hoarding for months! Hopefully I can find a home for them on a layout soon.

The second part of the design team application is to come up with a challenge using your kit, so I'll be back on Friday with a challenge! In the meantime, happy counterfeiting! :)

{Edited : My challenge is now up and running here. I would love for you to play along!}

9 comments :

  1. I'm just starting to join in with Counterfeit challenge:), so just following up the links. I love your take on May's kit. Good luck with getting on the design team!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your arrow kit, and those word arrows.....divine!!!

    Blessings ~~ dawn

    ReplyDelete
  3. Look forward to seeing what you get up to with your kit

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a delightful looking kit! I love the colors and patterns you've chosen and.....those amazing glitter Thickers!

    ReplyDelete
  5. your take on the May kit is super - the gold letters are a show stealer! Great job and the simplicity of this kit is what appealed to me too.

    Good luck with your application :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love your process for putting a kit together and it's quite a lovely kit!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Everyone needs a little sparkle, as my daughter would say! Love the glitter letters. Can't wait to see what you do with this fabulous kit!

    ReplyDelete
  8. beautiful kit, all the best with your application

    ReplyDelete
  9. loving again...those envelopes rock! Love all your paper chopices too!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment! xo