Thursday, April 18, 2013

A Linear Page To Inspire My Mom

Hey guys! Just popping in quickly with another layout I made using papers and stickers included in April's Studio Calico kit. Everything I used for this layout except the alphabet stickers and the charcoal sequins are from the kit. This is my 5th kit from Studio Calico and it's hands down my favorite so far ... at first, I wasn't super keen on the color scheme but now that it's actually in my hands I'm finding myself being SUPER inspired and eager to play. (It's not sold out yet; if you're interested you can buy one here). 

My mom actually inspired me to come up with this design. She is also a scrapbooker and she often complains that her style is too "linear" and that all the rectangles/squares she uses are "boring". I disagree and I think her pages are fantastic, but I was inspired to do a linear page just to prove to her that linear doesn't necessarily mean boring. 

Tip #1 - Mix it up. If you're going to work with rectangles or squares, a great way to liven up the design is to mix and match papers. Instead of sticking down one big square or one long rectangle, use two or more papers to create a grid effect. For added dimension, adhere the papers to card stock to create a border. This will help highlight the different papers and it's also a great way to use up scraps of card stock. 


Tip # 2 - Create a cluster. On the left-hand side of my photo, I grouped together several different papers  including two squares and two rectangles. Again, don't be afraid to mix and match patterns and colors and be sure to include different sizes. I "cheated" and added some stars, hearts and sequins to my cluster ... but even if you stick to strictly linear elements, a cluster is a great way to add variety and dimension to your layout.

So there's the proof ... linear does NOT mean boring! (Yes, Mom, I'm talking to you!)

I challenge you make a layout or card this weekend using linear elements like squares or rectangles. Happy crafty!!

3 comments :

  1. Thanks for visiting my blog and leaving a sweet comment! I love this page! I see that you used the new SC kit....I don't yet get the kits but this one is calling my name! You do great work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fabulous photo and no, your linear page does not look boring at all!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I *loved* this page (I'm pretty linear too) and it's what I chose to scraplift for the CKCB first challenge of July :-)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment! xo