Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Under My Umbrella

This afternoon, I played with digital stamps for the very first time ever. I know I'm waaaay behind on the digital stamp trend, but now that I've given it a go I think it's safe to say I'm addicted. They're so easy to use and so inexpensive compared to traditional rubber mounted stamps or even acrylic. 

The following card was made for a challenge over on the Simon Says Stamp & Show blog. The challenge for this week was "water". Living in Vancouver, when I think water I think rain. I wanted to make a card with a cute umbrella but I didn't have any appropriate stamps or embellishments in my collection. So, on a whim, I decided to give digital a try. I found an adorable stamp over in the Birdie Brown Etsy shop for just $2.50. I printed it out, colored it in using my Touch markers and then created the blue background using a Tim Holtz distress ink. A little glitter, some "raindrops" and a banner with a sentiment and, voila! A great card for a rainy day. 



In case there's anyone else out there who has been living under a rock when it comes to digital stamps, here's a quick explanation of what they are and how to use them. First, you buy the design online. Most online scrapbook retailers now carry digital stamp options, or you can check out Etsy. Once you've paid for the item you are either granted immediate access to the design or it is emailed to you as a ".jpg" image. The image is then yours, to use as often as you want. 

All you have to do is open the image on a computer using the program of your choice (I used iPhoto), re-size it and print it off onto a piece of cardstock. It's that easy! Once you have your design on cardstock you basically treat it the way you would a regular stamped image - you can color it in using markers or leave it as-is. You can also color it in using a computer program but that's too fancy schmancy for me. I'm *so* not a techie ... thank goodness I'm married to one, lol

Here are a few reasons why I am loving the idea of digital stamps .... 1) They're inexpensive and a great way to add to your stamp collection without having to dish out a fortune. 2) You store them on your computer, so you don't have to try and find a home for them in your craft room/space. 3) You can re-size them to fit whatever project you're working on. 

Head over to the Simon Says Stamp & Show challenge blog to enter your submission for the "water" challenge! 

No comments :

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment! xo